Yes! Absolutely, you can! Your Hummus will definitely come out better in your blender than making in a food processor. Blender makes your hummus creamier delivering your top-notch hummus fast and smoother.
As technology takes its full course, hummus is often made in a food processor. What then happens if you have neither of these (no mortar and pestle, no food processor)? Well, you have no reason to worry as there is the option of a blender… Yaaaayy!
We cannot rule out the fact that not everyone readily has a food processor within their reach, hence, the need for an option – A Blender!
While you can make use of a blender to make hummus, it is important to note that it has to be high-powered as it would be doing the job of a food processor. An example of a high-powered blender is the Vitamix E310 Explorian Blender.
I mean, a Blender with a low powered motor may not help you achieve the desired result. At this, when you will be purchasing a blender for your hummus, you should look out for a high powered product as with it, making hummus is a breeze.
Trust me, as always, I have a few products apart from the one above that I recommend for this purpose, and I’m sure you would want to try them one. If you’re in a hurry, you could quickly scroll down to see them.
How to make Hummus with a blender
Quick steps in making Hummus with a blender
- Break up the chickpeas into smaller pieces as possible without liquid.
- Gradually add the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil and of course, water to blend easily
- Add salt and perhaps pepper to taste
- You could also season with cumin
Many think of making hummus at home as stress, but I’m here to tell you that the whole process of making it is much easier than you think; a smooth and creamy one at that, just with the use of a blender, and it is even way better than the store-bought versions.
Oh! I bet you’re curious to know how to make hummus in a blender, just come along with me.
Here are the steps to follow if you will be using a blender to make Hummus.
- To come about a smooth and creamy result when next you’d be making hummus with a blender, simply add all of the ingredients into the blender and blend.
- The main difference is that more water would be required than if you were to make use of a food processor. However, the whole process should not last more than 5 minutes.
- While making use of a high powered blender leaves you with an almost equal result if not an actually equal result with a food processor, making do with what you have is okay. You may not have a high powered blender, but the regular one. Well, you could make do with that, just ensure the ingredients are well blended with enough water – not an overly much quantity of water though.
Depending on the brand, an immersion blender may be less powerful than a stand blender, hence, the need to make the process more gradually which would require more liquid content to be able to blend easily. See this…
- With all of your ingredients set, the first step is that you with the use of the blender, break up the chickpeas into smaller pieces as possible without liquid.
- The next step is that you gradually add the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil and of course, water to blend easily. Continue to do this until it turns smooth and creamy. It is important that you scrape the bowl of the blender intermittently as you blend; the motive behind this is to ensure that you do not leave any piece unblended. Meanwhile, you should add more water if needed – this is when you notice that you have an overly thick result.
- Once you’ve completed this process, you are to add salt and perhaps pepper to taste, you could also season with cumin. If you’ve got other ingredients to garnish it with, you can carry on with them. However, if you find that you have a sort of watery/runny outcome as a result of adding too much water, simply leave it to rest as the starch in the chickpeas allows the whole mixture to thicken over time. To make it a lot easier and faster, simply place it in the fridge for about an hour as it would help thicken it up before serving.
Yes! A blender is the next best appliance after a food processor for making hummus. However, for emphasis sake, you are to put all ingredients in the blender before you begin to blend. Just ensure that the thicker ingredients go in first, like the chickpeas and tahini.
Otherwise, your blender may have trouble thoroughly blending all of the ingredients, except it is really high powered.
High powered blenders you should try out for your homemade Hummus.
See my Top 4
I have already stated this blender above, and this is to show just how powerful it is. Not only for Hummus but also for other great grinding processes.
This product is a professional grade; hence, you should trust it to make hummus just the way you desire. Just so you know, this product has a variable speed control which allows you to refine every texture of your hummus with culinary precision; in addition to this, it has a pulse feature.
With its 48-ounce container, you are able to blend medium batches for small family needs – here’s all you need!
When it comes to cleaning, it is exciting to know that all you need to do is drop dish soap and warm water in the blender and switch it on as though you were out to blend; in 30 – 60 seconds, this Vitamix Blender would clean itself.
- Colour: Black
- Material: Tritan
- Voltage: 120 volts
- Dimensions: 11 x 8 x 18 inches
- Weight: 11.5 pounds
- This product features a radial cooling fan and thermal protection system.
- Built to last, this product thus boasts durability
- It has variable speed as well as the pulse feature
- It is easy to use just as it is easy to clean – to clean, you should note that this product does not disassemble. Simply follow the instruction as in the product description above.
- It has a high-performance motor which makes it the best blender for making hummus
- It’s got a precise container design
- This product is confidently universal as it helps you perform all food prep tasks you may think of
- As it is known for a blender, this product is as well loud while in operation
- It may be a bit expensive, but I bet the price is worth it!
Overtime, Vitamix products have proven to be really topnotch as they’ve been in the market for quite a long while and have an insight to what buyers seek.
With all of its flamboyant features, this product has come to stay!
Being a professional power blender for all sorts of kitchen prep tasks, this product is an ideal one for making hummus.
Very fast in operation, its blade breaks through whatever is being blended.
With 8 stainless steel blades, you are able to crush ice cubes and food faster than any other blender, its variable speed control also helps you achieve different textures as you deem fit.
Meanwhile, like the Vitamix blender, this product also self cleans with the aid of dish soap and warm water, it is as well dishwasher safe. When in operation, it is important to note that you are to add enough liquid.
- Colour: Black
- Material: Tritan pitcher and titanium
- Voltage: 120 volts
- Dimensions: 14.17 x 12.2 x 10.24 inches
- Weight: 9.19 pounds
- This product is self-cleaning and dishwasher safe
- It has an enhanced double security protection
- It could be gifted to your dear ones
- It has 10 adjustable speed controls
- This product has a one year warranty
- This product boasts versatility! From making smoothies to crushing ice and of course, making hummus with a host of other functions
- This product moves while in operation as it does not have any suction cups at the bottom
- This product may tend to smell burnt after use, especially when it is overworked. To this effect, you are advised to let it rest for 30 minutes after it has worked for a long time if you need to use it again
All of the features of this product are just so mouth savouring as the rest of the products reviewed in this article. However, the fact that it moves while in operation and tends to smell burnt after use may be discouraging to you. If you are good with properly maintaining products as such, you should place your order already!
Made with plastic, this product, Ninja Professional Plus Blender comes with an Auto-iQ and as the name readily suggests, it is professional grade.
Apart from the fact that it has the ability to make hummus, it also has total crushing blades which give you perfectly crushed ice for your smoothies.
Away from its functionality, this product is easy to clean as it has dishwasher safe components
- Colour: Grey
- Voltage: 110 volts
- Blade material: Stainless steel
- Weight: 10.78 pounds
- Dimensions: 17.3 x 12.4 x 10.7 inches
- It has a motor powerful enough to make hummus
- It is easy to use as well as to clean as it got dishwasher safe components
- It is quite affordable
- It is versatile as it performs several food prep tasks
- It could be used as a gift to loved ones on special occasions such as housewarming, etc.
- This product does not have a processor bowl available
- This product is not designed to blend hot ingredients
All of the features of this product are mind-blowing just like the rest of the products reviewed.
However, as we cannot rule out the fact that a blender would always be noisy, the noise that emanates while this product is in operation (other products alike; it is not peculiar to this product just that the amount of noise may vary) may be disturbing.
This product has an even blending performance as it combines the functionality of a powerful blender with some food processing tasks for versatility and convenience.
As opposed to the conventional notion about blenders being noisy, this particular product is made quiet and very efficient with its heavy-duty blades which stay sharp for long.
Meanwhile, it has an auto-clean to help easily clean around the blades. A unique feature this product has is the LCD display and timer which counts up on speed settings.
- Material: Tight-fitting Breville Assist Lid
- Colour: Silver
- Voltage: 110 volts
- Dimensions: 7 x 8.5 x 17 inches
- Weight: 10 pounds
- It has an even blending Kinetix performance
- It is said to be quiet and very efficient
- It has one-touch versatility as its illuminated smoothie, green smoothie and ice crush pre-programmed buttons make it a lot easier to blend smoothies
- It has an LCD display which allows you assume total control while blending
- Adaptability – from ice pops and marinades to smoothies and dips
- This product has no disadvantage whatsoever. What may seem close to it is that it could be expensive for persons running a very low budget
Asides making hummus, this product has got virtually all of the features that you may be looking out for.
Why then do you need to waste more time? You should purchase yours now!
Great Hummus Recipes you should know
Before I go, I would like to share with you some of the best recipes you should try out when next you need to make hummus – they are all just mouth savouring!
Total prep time: 15 minutes
2 cups of cooked chickpeas (400g)
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
4 tablespoons of tahini
3 whole cloves of garlic, preferably minced
4 tablespoons of water
1 teaspoon of cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika and Olive oil for garnish (it is important to note that these two ingredients are only optional)
Step by step process:
- Before you begin with the process of blending, it is important that you drain the cooked chickpeas, after which you could begin to remove / peel the outer skins of the cooked chickpeas. (Peeling the skins of the cooked chickpeas is an optional process; its aim is to make for a smoother result)
- If you’d be making use of a highly powered blender, the first step would be that you add all ingredients except for the salt and pepper into the blender and begin to blend until it turns smooth and creamy.
- Scrape the bowl of the blender sporadically as you blend; the motive behind this is to ensure that you do not leave any piece of the ingredients unblended. Meanwhile, you should add more water if needed – this is when you notice that you have an overly thick result.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
If you’d be making use of a hand blender;
- Once you have all of your ingredients set, the first step is that you with the use of the blender, break up the chickpeas into smaller pieces as possible without liquid.
- The next step is that you gradually add the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil and of course, water to blend easily. Continue to do this until it turns smooth and creamy. It is important as I earlier mentioned that you scrape the bowl of the blender intermittently as you blend; the reason for this, I’ll reiterate, is to ensure that you do not leave any piece unblended. Meanwhile, you should add more water if needed – this is when you notice that you have an overly thick result.
- The last step is to season with cumin, salt and pepper to taste – if you’ve got other ingredients to garnish it with, you can go ahead to. However, if you find that you have a sort of watery / runny outcome as a result of adding too much water, simply leave it to rest as the starch in the chickpeas allows the whole mixture to thicken overtime. To make it a lot easier and faster, simply place it in the fridge for about an hour as it would help thicken it up before serving
This is literally one of the best recipes you’d find around, and guess what? It is made with just a handful of ingredients. Oh! I didn’t mention early on… this recipe I’m about to share with you is a Lebanese recipe.
15 ounce can chickpeas
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
2 garlic cloves
½ teaspoon salt
Extra virgin olive oil that would be used for serving
Paprika for serving as well
Fresh parsley for serving too
Step by step process:
- Peel the skin of the chickpeas by placing them in a bowl of water and rubbing together (this step is an optional one as it only helps create a creamier texture)
- Drain the chickpeas and put them all in the blender. Blend them all alone until they become powder-like
- Add lemon juice, tahini, garlic cloves and salt. To make the process a lot easier, you could add 2 – 3 ice cubes and blend for close to 5 minutes until the whole mixture turns smooth. At this point, it is important that you check if the taste suits you. If not, you should add more salt or lemon juice.
- Serve the hummus on a plate and then spread with the back of a spoon to create swirls
- Add a bit of olive oil, sprinkle some paprika and fresh parsley. Yaaayy… our snack is ready! You could serve cold or at room temperature. However, if you have more than you can consume all at once, simply store the rest in a fridge and ensure it is airtight.
Final thoughts on making Hummus with a blender
In this article, to clear your curiosity, I have been able to let you see that you could make use of a blender in making hummus. I was as well able to explore a number of blenders you should try out for this purpose – the best blenders you can find around.
As I established in the course of the article if you do not have a high powered blender, and you’re not budgeted to get one soon, you could simply make do with what you have, just ensure that you blend thoroughly with enough water.
However, getting one of these blenders, by implication, helps you have a seamless and easy process when it comes to performing culinary chores as it not only saves your time but gives you value for your money as well.
I hope you did find this article very helpful. Simply purchase any of the blenders that best suits your taste; all that you are required to do is click the link attached to your chosen product, and then place your order already.
If you’ve got any comments to make, simply visit the comments section below, I’d be glad to hear from you.
Thanks for reading!